Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Ikea Find & Stair Update

I must share one of the best deals I have gotten in a long time... I went to Ikea the other day.  A bit disappointed as I headed towards the register.  One of those days that everything I wanted was out of stock.  Just before I checked out I thought I would take a walk through the "as is" section.  In a bin I found an Ektorp (sofa) slipcover.  Just the base piece not the cushions.  To make this find even better it was the same cover that I had debated on buying last winter.  It was a $249 cover so because I was unsure I had not purchased it.  With the base cover in my hand I began to dig through all of the bins looking for the cushion covers.  I found them all.  They were in perfect shape.  They were tagged "as is out of box".  Ready for the price...$4 for the base cover and $1 for each cushion cover.  YES $10 for a $249 cover.  The natural - linen color brings a very nice warm feeling to the family room as I start to decorate for fall.  I just love it!
 
I also wanted to share a little update on our stair project.  You can see the before pictures here.  It is a bit of a slow moving project, but it is almost there.  We decided to plank the walls.  It seems to be the hot new thing.  I can not go on Pinterest without seeing a room that has been planked. 
 
We did end up using the old French door.  It  was a door that was originally on the front of the house in the early 1900s. 
 
So just a few steps left.  The stair treads need to be stained.  I want to hang pictures and maybe even add numbers to the stair risers.  The finished photos will follow - I promise.
 





3 comments:

  1. Great finds! I have a few things from Ikea that I'm stalking Craigs List to find. You know, items like chairs for the bedrooms and things like that. Extras that I hope to find cheaply.

    Your home is just beautiful. So glad to find you today. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the deal of a lifetime Emily! So excited for you! The "As Is" Room is one the greatest places on earth in my opinion, so much of the stuff in my house is from there!~Meg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great score! Bet you were so glad to have taken that side trip!! Last time I went to Ikea it was under construction. Making have the store unacceptable. It was a very disappointing day to say the least.

    ReplyDelete