Sunday, August 11, 2013

Fruit Trees & Pear Bread


 
Our pear tree is full of fruit this summer.  We never spray our trees so it is always hit or miss if it will be a good fruit season.  They are never the prettiest fruit, but they taste delicious.

We picked a full basket last weekend.  Then I was left with the question - now what?  I searched cookbooks and Pinterest to find a recipe that said yum... I really wasn't in the mood for jam, chutney or tarts.  Every recipe I found required me to go to the grocery store and by some ingredients that I would probably never use again.  The thrill of having a fruit tree in your yard should be that you can walk in your house an make something.   So I took a chance.  I looked up a favorite banana bread recipe and combined it with some pear recipes that I found.  Mainly I was a bread mixologist.    It was either bound for the trash or it would be one to add to my favorites.

Well the boys loved it!  Here it is...If you try it let me know how you like it. 





Pear Bread

3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 & 1/2 sticks margarine (3/4 cup) - melted
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup milk
3 eggs
2 cups shredded pear (remove skin and shred) - approximately 6 pears

Preheat oven to 350 and grease 2 loaf pans (I used margarine).  Mix all dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon).  In separate bowl combine all wet ingredients (margarine, milk, vanilla and eggs).  Then add pear to wet mixture.  Combine both wet and dry ingredients.  Divide between 2 loaf pans.  Bake at 350 for 50 - 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool on a cooling rack.


Happy Baking

No comments:

Post a Comment